By Laws

Ontario By Laws By City

Questions about building a new fence?

For most cities and towns in Ontario, you do not need a permit to build a fence however, regulations regarding height do apply. These Regulations apply to fences for:

  • single-family or semi-detached houses
  • duplexes
  • triplexes
  • street townhouses.
  • And commercial properties

For By Law specific information about your town or city, see below.


– Current Municipalities – City of Cambridge, City of Kitchener, North Dumfries Township, City of Waterloo, Wellesley Township, Wilmot Township, Woolwich Township

Fence Contractors


–Current Townships – Centre Wellington Township, Town of Erin, Guelph/ Eramosa Township, Mapleton Township, Town of Minto, Puslinch Township, Wellington North Township.

(Historical Townships – Arthur, Eramosa, Erin, West Garafraxa, Guelph, west Luther, Maryborough, Minto, Nichol, Peel, Pilkington, Puslinch)